Friday, May 4, 2012

Street fair

Several of the missionary couples had been telling us about a street fair that is located quite close by. It is held every Friday morning and has farmers bring in their produce to sell. This morning Mike and I went with another couple to check it out.

It was a beautiful morning (no rain) and we were there around 8. We ran into other missionary couples that we knew. The produce was so pretty. There were several things that I had no clue what they were.

It was similar to Costco in that the vendors offered us a taste of anything we were interested in. The pineapples here look so green, no yellow cast at all to them. We asked one fellow how to tell if they were good. He showed us how to hit it and see if it was firm. If firm, it was ripe. He cut open one and gave us a taste. Oh my goodness. It was so sweet. The flesh is a pale yellow and not the dark yellow we are used to.

The avocados are huge. They have a milder flavor than what we are used to but they are mighty tasty on my turkey sandwich. (This picture was taken in a grocery store a few days ago.)

We tasted persimmon, a fruit that looks like an artichoke but it is very sweet. The variety of bananas is amazing. They have some that are about the size of your finger. There is a variety that tastes just like an apple.

We finished of the outing by tasting their deep fried pasties. Mike is holding one with cheese and one with meat. I liked the ones without any filling and are sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

There were vendors of meat, clothing, shoes, cane sugar drinks but mostly produce. When I took out my camera to take a picture Mike said I was being a tourist. Yes I was. Proudly. We will certainly return here often.

No comments:

Post a Comment