Thursday, May 24, 2012

Salsa

One type of food I miss the most is Mexican food. I love food with heat and with spice. I haven't found a lot of either here. After seeing the price of imported Salsa I decided to make my own. The price listed it is reais. (hay-ice) The Brazilian Real (singular) trades around two reais (plural) for one dollar. So one jar would be $12. Yikes! A little too rich for my blood.


We were told about a great produce store that had chili's. We found some big Anaheim chilies, cilantro, onions and tomatoes.

I processed the green chile by first charring the skins,










  steaming then peeling the papery skin off












 and then chopping.

 One can of green chili sells for $8. I was able to get the equivalent of two cans of chili from 4 chili peppers which cost $.75.










I chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro and squeezed limes. With the added chilies it was very good.











I took half of the salsa and mixed it with one avocado which was the size of a medium cantaloupe. Score!
Lots of tasty guacamole. Spice and heat. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment