Sunday, April 1, 2012

New Direction

I am hijacking my blog and it will be going in a new direction for the next 18 months. My husband and I are going to be serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We will be living in Sao Paulo, Brazil and working in the LDS temple there.

Since the first of December I have been going to Portuguese lessons with a private tutor three times a week. Oh my goodness, there are so many things I do not know. So many words, so little time. Fortunately my DH does speak Portuguese so we should be able to get along.

I will be taking along a couple of applique projects to work on in my spare time. I am wondering if I can get along without my sewing machine for 1 1/2 years. I guess I will find out.

The first project is Lollypop Trees.

 I love this pattern by Kim McLean. Since the first of the year I have collected a lot of bright florals. Most are Phillip Jacobs designs. Love them. I preshrunk them and had this mess:

After ironing them they tamed down to a small stack:

The second project is Stars and Sprigs also by Kim McLean.

 I will be using the same bright fabrics. If I get all the applique finished I figure I can hand piece the stars. So to prepare for that eventuality I pulled bright almost solids and cut a square to use. Aren't they pretty?
I am trying to maximize the space/weight that this will take in my suitcase. I figure it is about 10% of the weight allowed. I think it is justified. We will soon find out if it will all fit.

So if you want to hang around and find out how I manage in Brazil you are welcome to. I don't know how much quilty stuff will be talked about but I will post my progress.

Bom dia.

3 comments:

  1. yay! I've been waiting to hear where you were going. Kara hasn't mentioned it.

    Nathan's parents are heading to London to work in the Single Adult Center for their mission. They leave in June. When do you guys head out?

    Sewing machine or not, I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! You've chosen two perfect projects to take along with you! Wishing you all the best on your adventure. We will be watching for updates! Bon voyage! (Oops, that's not Portugese!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so fun to hear about your adventures! We are so proud of you and excited about your shift transfer! If you ever need anything sent to you, please let me know! Love, Jeanny & Von

    ReplyDelete