Friday, December 13, 2013

What's on the Needles

I am a pretty monogamous knitter. I have learned that if you don't work on a project it never gets finished. Deep, I know, but true, nevertheless. I finished the back of my sweater, cast on the front, did the ribbing and am now about 1 1/2" above the ribbing. Not very exciting to see. I did start another project.

This is the beginnings of the Oaklet shawl. Normally I knit using the right hand flick method. I don't really throw but flick the yarn with my right index finger. I want to learn the left hand pick method aka continental knitting. I have watched numerous videos and practiced the technique on scrap yarn but never on a project. I decided that this would be a good project because there are a lot of knit stitches and an equal number of purl stitches with a few yarn overs thrown in for good measure.

I got a good start on it but when I tried to knit and walk on the treadmill at the same time (3.2 mph) the whole project went south. So I did a do over. That is something that is cool about knitting. You can have do overs. In quilting if you cut something wrong you usually can't reuse your mistake. You have to start with new fabric. Anyway I ripped it all out and began again. From now on if I walk and knit at the same time it will be at a lower speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment