Friday, December 6, 2013

A little catching up

I am back home and have been for two months. It is so nice to be here with all my stuff. Mostly my creative stuff. I can live without it but I am glad I don't have to anymore.

I have a bit of an obsessive streak and right now knitting is my interest. I am quilting quilts for others and that is fun but I mostly prowl the web looking a yummy yarn. It is interesting that knitters talk about their stash (some have a very impressive stash), and where they are going to store it because they are running out of room, and how they will never be able to use it all up in their life time. All of this is so very much like quilters and their fabric. Some even talk about sneaking it into the house. This is stuff I can relate to and it makes me smile although I think my stash is a total of 17 skeins.

I want to share what I did while in Brazil. To have wonderful yarn I ordered some yarn and it was waiting for me when I made my quick trip home last March. When I went back I took about 16 skeins of yarn for socks. I figured that was something I could learn to do. So in my remaining 6 months I made 10 pairs of socks, one scarf and one cowl. It was really very fun.
I have found knitting is more portable than quilting, especially when I do all my quilting by machine. I know I can do stuff by hand, but basically I don't want to.

 After making socks I was ready to move onto something else. Sweaters! In October I bought yarn and began a sweater. I was able to finish it in about a month. Yea! And it even fits.Well, the sleeves are a little short but I am not redoing it.
So, if this blog becomes more of a knitting blog than a quilting blog, I am sorry. I think knitting has become attractive to me because it is something new to learn. There are new techniques to learn and master. After quilting for 30+ years so much of what I see now I think, "be there, done that." I went to a quilt show the other day and nothing sang to me. NOTHING! I couldn't believe it. I go into fabric shops and the same thing. About 10 years ago I took a hiatus from quilting for about a year and then I was ready to get back into it. Maybe the same thing will happen again. In the meantime forgive me if I dream about what I can cast on next.



1 comment:

  1. There you are! Sorry I'm so late catching up with you! Your knitting is gorgeous! It's all about keeping your hands busy and your mind creating! Will look forward to seeing lots of knitting from you this year!

    ReplyDelete